Eve & Adam by Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate

Eve & Adam - Michael  Grant, Katherine Applegate

This was much better than I expected. I'm not really sure why the average rating is so low. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from a book with such a low rating.

I did go into this book thinking it was a futuristic dystopian sci-fi novel. I was definitely surprised when I realized that it's set in the present. Not that it's at all a bad thing in this case. As I already said, I don't understand why this has such a low rating.

I will say the world building left something to be desired. This is a really quick read, mainly because it's filled with a ton of very short chapters, but also because it's interesting. But the world is not very well developed. And it definitely isn't developed early on in the book. So that docked it a little in my eyes. I would give this 3.5 stars if I could, but I went with 4 because it deserves more than 3 stars without a doubt.

Eve was a decent protagonist. There isn't much about her that sets her apart as super special, but she doesn't have any massive character flaws as far as I'm concerned. She is a fiercely loyal friend, I will give her that. She also doesn't come off at all spoiled or arrogant, even though her mother is so massively wealthy. Eve manages to be relatable. She's funny, somewhat awkward, a bit shy, just supremely well-rounded.

Solo was adorable. He was so awkward and introverted, particularly around the girls his age. I empathized with his childhood and life in general. He was this peripheral, pitiful character. Through absolutely no fault of his own, of course. Every interaction with Eve was cute and just the right amount of awkward.

At the end of the day, there wasn't a whole lot of character growth happening in this story. It was all pretty simple and straight forward. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, because sometimes you just want a quick read and this definitely met that criteria. But in terms of world building there doesn't seem to have been enough of a foundation left for more books. There was almost barely enough for this one.

I know this is the first book in a series but I'm not really sure where this story can go from here. This was one of those times that I thought the ending was satisfying and this would have been a great standalone. I frequently feel that way at the end of first books in series or trilogies, but I guess I just feel there aren't enough standalones in the world. And the ones that are standalones are always contemporaries.