Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

Firefight - Brandon Sanderson

I can't believe it took me so many days to finish this book, but I worked OT this week and I like to get sleep occasionally.

That was amazing. I didn't like it QUITE as much as the first book, but that was only because of pacing. I felt the end of part 2 into the beginning of Part 3 REALLY dragged, and so I kept putting this down. Mainly to get some sleep.

I love this world so much. It is dark, intense, deadly. The amount of talent it takes an author to craft a world like this so masterfully is unreal. As much as I enjoy Newcago, it was incredibly cool getting to see another city. Babylon Restored was incredible. Just to see Manhattan like that was heartbreaking because I love NYC, but also such an amazing way to show the different capabilities of the different Epics and how they change cities in completely different ways when they take over. There were so many bizarre aspects of the city that David noticed throughout the story and I was worried that we wouldn't get answers as to what was the real story behind a lot of the craziness, but I was so glad that we did. And it was a sad, albeit creative solution.

I didn't realize after reading Steelheart that The Reckoners had various cells in various places. I suppose I should have, but to be honest I didn't even realize that they were communicating with people outside of Newcago. I enjoyed getting to meet Val, Exel, and Mizzy. They were all so different and unique. It had been a while since I read Steelheart and I didn't feel like I remembered too much of it, but I remembered more than I thought. And the characters are so well fleshed out that even if you don't remember much from book one you still know exactly who each and every character is and what they are all about.

David's "metaphors" made me LOL so many times while reading this book. My favorite passage from this book is the potato passage. He is just so awkward and adorable and he flirts in his own clumsy way. Super cute. I spent a good chunk of this book thinking that he was an idiot and as a result of him keeping secrets from the rest of the team something bad was going to happen. I understood where he was coming from in many regards, I just wish that he would have left the lines of communication open a bit more, particularly with Prof. But he's a kid and it was always clear that Prof and Tia in particular were always holding things back. So I can see why that would be frustrating, but David has a tendency to go rogue and is a bit of a loose cannon, so it's easy to understand why those in charge would want to play things close to the chest.

I have to admit that David's obsession with Megan was really getting on my nerves until she actually showed up again. Then I got it and understood because I had forgotten how cool she is despite her betrayal in the first book. I loved getting to know her based on this whole other aspect of her character than the first book when she couldn't reveal that she was an Epic, especially with the way it ended. I enjoyed getting to know her as both the girl and also the Epic that she is. I was surprised by what her ability actually is. It definitely seems like the most far-fetched one we've learned about so far, but this is sci-fi so that's to be expected.

We got so much more information in this book than I expected. We learned (mainly through David) so much more about Epics. He finally solved the mystery of their weaknesses and that was a really interesting thing so watch him try to figure out as this book went on. I am in shock that we found out what Calamity is. I really, really was expecting that to be revealed in the third book so that was crazy unexpected for me. Though we still don't know HOW Calamity happened, which I'm sure will be revealed in the third book. The scene with David, Regalia, and Calamity: Wow. I was on the edge of my seat.

I thought something like what happened at the end was coming, simply due to the amount to foreshadowing. That did not mean that it wasn't very hard to read and extremely heart-wrenching. I can't wait to see where Brandon Sanderson takes this amazing story next. He is such a talent. I haven't read many of his books; just this series so far and The Rithmatist. But from what I've read, he is ridiculously talented and his world building is insanely thorough and complex. He has so many books out that I haven't read yet so I think I will make that one of my reading goals for 2015.