Plus One by Elizabeth Fama

Plus One - Elizabeth Fama

I really try to finish every book I pick up. But at the end of the day, life is too short to read bad books. I feel like there are so many books that I want to read that I'll never come close to finishing them. So why waste times on one that don't appeal to you?

I'm sure there are many people out there that enjoy this book. The cover is gorgeous. The concept of a society divided into day citizens and night citizens is an interesting one.

However, I didn't feel any sort of connection with any of the characters. Sol has a very juvenile view of just about everything and I'm just too old to relate to that. I read plenty of characters her age who are intelligent and thorough in their planning. She has these general big ideas with no consideration for the details. She has no real idea how she's going to accomplish anything.

Her entire relationships with both her grandfather and brother are revealed through flashbacks for at least the first 40% of the book. I didn't have any sort of feelings toward either of them, not even curiosity. I didn't care about them. I didn't care about Sol. I didn't care about the baby.

D'Arcy was annoying. I didn't think he was physically described as being attractive, but then she made reference to finding him attractive. Her description of his features was not at all flattering. Those sort of inconsistencies happened so many times in he section of this book that I made it through.

I think this book is another example of an author taking a good concept and trying to make it overly complicated. I really wanted to read this and like it because it's a stand alone and there are just so many series out there. But this was a waste of time.