The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

The Forsaken - Lisa M. Stasse

This wasn't so great.

For about the first 40% of the novel I was thinking it may be a better version of The Testing trilogy. Then it ended up being much worse than that. There were so many directions this story could have taken, the way it went was pretty disappointing.

I did appreciate that Alenna was a strong, determined survivor throughout. She never really displayed any weakness and I respected that about her. Her relationship with Liam was hard to get into for me. I didn't think there was much of a foundation between them and no real time for them to fall for each other, it happened fairly instantaneously. Their characters were each too perfect for me, they never made any real mistakes or did much wrong.

The story behind the island and the gray zone was way too convoluted. The author definitely could have come up with something better than that. This book could have been greatly improved by having a more straight-forward story behind all of this. There was so much going on, and then the actual conclusion came completely out of left field.

So much craziness had already happened, and then that? It was a bit much.

I was surprised by the identity of The Monk. I had a notion of who it might be, but I was not correct. So that caught me off guard.

All in all, I now know why I've never heard anything about this novel. I have no intention of continuing with this series or trilogy or whatever it is.