My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick

This was pretty cute. It was very different than I was expecting, but not terrible.

I found the relationship between the main characters to be very believable. Jase was adorable. He was very mature for his age, but it was easy to understand why he would be that way with all those younger siblings around to look after and help out with.

I had issues with Samantha's character. She basically always had everything handed to her, and that makes a character hard to relate to. Particularly one so young. Until the end of the book it was clear she had never faced any legitimate struggles that she would have had to overcome. This made it kind of unbelievable for me that she would respond to "the incident" the way she does at the end. I understand having a conscience and wanting to do the right thing, but I didn't see that she would have ever had to overcome anything that would prepare her for the way she responds to the situation.

It also seemed bizarre to me that she would be able to blend in with Jase's family to effortlessly, always doing and saying the right thing. She was able to jump right in babysitting all of these overwhelming kids and be amazing at it right off the bat. I just didn't find her character relatable or believable.

I'm also not a fan of how this book ended. I'm not sure if it makes me a good person or a bad person, but the conclusion (lack of consequences in particular) really did not sit well with me whatsoever.